Thursday 10 April 2014

Elf's Kitchen | Homemade BBQ Sauce

Hi guys,
I thought I'd share something a little bit different today! I'm going to share a homemade BBQ sauce recipe that I got from THE FOOD NETWORK (I have edited it slightly). It goes perfectly with pulled pork which I'm going to share with you tomorrow!

I got this fancy pants Kilner storage jar from Sainsbury's for £3

So lets get started, here's what your going to need:


  • 1 small onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 3 x 1/4 cups of soft dark brown sugar

  • 60ml vinegar (in hindsight it would probably be better to use Apple Cider Vinegar, maybe next time!)
  • 680g Tomato Ketchup which is a whole one of these bottles
  • 250ml Apple Juice

Start by slicing up your onion into relatively small cubes


Roughly chop up your 3 cloves of garlic


Place your onions, garlic, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and cumin into a large saucepan and cook until soft


Like so...


Add in your 3 1/4 cups of soft dark brown sugar and mix together


Add in all of your tommy K and give it a really good stir


Pour in your apple juice and again give it a good mix together


Next up add in the vinegar...


...1 & 1/2 teaspoons of mustard powder...


...And then I added in some of my favourite Schwartz Black and Red pepper for an extra kick!
Once all mixed together, bring to the boil and then let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. Either use straight away or allow to cool and then transfer into a container and pop in the fridge. 

A Voila!

BBQ sauce!

Keep stored in your fridge for 2 weeks, I guarantee it will be gone by then!

Hope you enjoyed this post!

Jeni x









No comments:

Post a Comment