Sunday 6 April 2014

Quick Tips | DIY Silver Cleaner

We all have a silver necklace or bracelet that we haven't worn in a while that has gone tarnished and black. The other day I went to put on a little locket my brother bought me a few Christmases back and it was looking a little unloved and tarnished. Then I remembered reading somewhere about a very unlikely silver cleaner and thought, heck I'll give it a whirl, and it works, amazingly!

So I'm going to show you how to go:

Using one ingredient that we all have in our homes...Toothpaste!

Our unlikely hero in this epic adventure!

Now you might be thinking toothpaste really? But trust me it works like a charm! Why does it work? Most jewelry cleaners contain a mixture of water and baking soda just like toothpaste. Its non-toxic and easy to clean up (make sure you do this over the sink!) Toothpaste contains mild abrasives which will help to remove staining on your silver. Just keep in mind the toothpaste could scratch your jewelry so be gentle!


Step 1: Get your neck lace and your toothpaste. You can use a bit of tissue or a cloth if you don't want to get it on your fingers but I'm not fussy so I'm using my fingers.


Step 2: Rub the toothpaste all over your necklace/pendant


Step 3: You'll start to notice the toothpaste turning grey and your necklace looking oh so clean and sparkly!


Step 4: Once your done simply rinse with water and pat dry and enjoy your clean necklace!

This little trick works well on all tarnished metals too, its cheap and is something that we will all have in our bathroom cabinet! 

Hope you give this a try!

Have a great Sunday!

Jeni x






No comments:

Post a Comment