Monday 14 July 2014

My Top 5 Tips for Healthy, Happy Hair

Hi guys! Today I'm going to share with you my top 5 tips for keeping your hair looking its best.

1. DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR EVERY DAY


I know that for a lot of people this is something that seems impossible or gross, but forgoing a wash can really help your hair's health in the long run. On your scalp you have thousands of sebaceous glands, which produce an oil that helps to protect the hair and keep it soft, supple and shiny. And if you wash your hair every day, you strip away those natural oils before they have been able to do there job. So try going for every other day and use a dry shampoo like Batiste to get rid of the grease between washes.

2. TURN DOWN THE HEAT


Try to limit the amount of heat you put on your hair through. Let your hair air dry as often as possible, or if your in a rush use the coolest heat setting on your hair dryer. If your not going anywhere don't worry about straightening/curling your hair, let it have a rest, try to do it for 'special' occasions or when your really need too. And when you do, make sure you liberally spray on heat protector to help minimise the damage left by hot tools. Too much heat can leave your hair feeling really dry and brittle. I'm not saying don't ever use them, just use heat in moderation.

3. NEVER BRUSH YOUR HAIR WHEN IT IS WET


Or even comb it. Your hair is its most fragile when it is wet, so pulling a brush or comb through it is a bit like hair torture. Ever hear that horrible rip or snap of the strands? Ouch! It leaves breakage and split ends behind. Instead, what I like to do is find my parting with my fingers and part my hair, if like me and you have a fringe, I do comb this in to position, simply so it doesn't dry in a wacky way. Then let your hair completely dry before combing it through. And believe it or not your hair will untangle its self as it relaxes and dries making it easier to brush out, resulting in less snagging.

4. DEEP CONDITIONING/HAIR OILING


For super soft locks its always great to deep condition on a regular basis. Find a deep conditioning hair mask that works for you and use it at least once a week. Alternatively and some times more cheaply, picking a natural oil that does good for your hair and deep conditioning your hair with it is just as good, if not even better! Try coconut oil, its one of the few that really penetrates the hair shaft. I like to leave it on over night and wash it out in the morning. It leaves your hair super soft and shiny. Read my post HERE.

5. REGULAR TRIMS


Whether it be by a salon or do it your self at home, regular trims can help maintain the overall appearance and health of your hair. Ever noticed how ratty your hair can look if you go a while between hair cuts? And then how gorgeous and healthy it looks afterwards?
But if your growing out your hair, like me you may think that cutting your hair is a no go. The simple fact is, it doesn't have to be. I haven't actually been to the hairdressers this year but my hair doesn't look like its been abandoned either. Instead I've been trimming my hair at home which is really easy to do. The general way that I do it, for example is, if you lift a section of hair up and look at it, how straight/level are the ends? Are they all varying lengths making it look a little bit messy? I simply find the best level and cut straight across. If you want I'll do a hair trimming post next time I'm due a trim. (btw, I'm not a trained hairdresser it will be just me showing you how I do it) But in general keeping up with hair cuts is a great way too keep your hair looking its best.

*Images have been googled and some edited*

Hope you have liked my tips and found some of it of use!
I'll be back with more hair tips later on!

Have a great day!

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment